Thursday, October 18, 2018

Survivor DG: Episode 4


Michal's greatest mistake wasn't drafting Natalia with her first pick. It was letting me write the blog this week.

I took great satisfaction in Natalia's exit. Imagine drafting that self-sabotaging hellion ahead of a deep, multifaceted, charismatic player like John.

Okay. The intention of this post isn't actually to trash our blog mother. Her remaining team appears pretty strong, she and her husband have crushed the pool recently and they own all of the pool's long-time records. Plus, she's a pretty cool lady. Most importantly, I'm getting maximal satisfaction out of watching Michal begrudgingly raise our team's power ranking week-by-week. I wish she could do the blog this week, because she's a terrific writer and because she'd have to painfully realize our team has 1.5x the members and 2x the points of hers. Perturbed as she might be, Michal would have a hard time ranking us lower than second this week. I'll just have to imagine her shaking her head disgustedly, gritting her teeth and placing us second behind A to Z.

This post is going to be a power rankings, but of the individual kind. Team power rankings wouldn't be insightful right now as two horses have moved way out in front, at least in terms of remaining players and points scored. Check the spreadsheet if you want to jealously gaze up at our huge leads. This is a power rankings of all the players, including the departed.


BUSTO: Jessica
Sometimes youngsters have the maturity of last year's Michael and sometimes they haven't graduated beyond narcissism and abrasiveness. Jessica was the latter. A lousy mid-round pick.

BUSTO: Jeremy
I really loved the Jeremy Experience but the man just couldn't control himself. He was the maniac in the poker tournament who won ten of the first fifteen hands and busted before the first break.

BUSTO: Bi
Let's not write a revisionist history about what a strong player Bi was before her unlucky injury. Bi was never going anywhere in this game. She was a bit of a hothead and didn't appear to be forging solid alliances. But of course it was unlucky for Bri & Doug to have her depart this early. The rules give -5 points for med-evackers and 0 to -10 points for quitters, determined by pool vote. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but if I'm voting, I would give Bi -3 points. If it's a binary 0 or -10, I would give her 0.

BUSTO: Natalia
Natalia had the appearance of a strong player, but those who investigated beyond the surface found a concerning underbelly of arrogance and pushiness. Her early exit was entirely self-inflicted. All she had to do was throw Alec the slightest bone and he would have been happy to make the easy vote with her and Kara. At least she had the self-awareness to admit she blew it in her bustout interview.

15. Natalie
Could a mature, self-assured player grab Natalie and use her as a coattail-riding vote deep into the game? I doubt it. She's just too abrasive. Nobody likes her.

14. Lyrsa
She's certainly capable of making a run if everything breaks right, but Lyrsa doesn't appear capable of winning challenges, rousing votes or garnering respect at Final Tribal.

13. Elizabeth
I'm not giving Elizabeth credit for turning the tables and upsetting Natalia. I'm giving Natalia credit for that, helped by an overeager...

12. Alec
Smug in his backstab of Natalia, Alec may have signed his own death warrant while trying to build his resumé. Now all the Goliaths know he can't be trusted. With Carl joining the Orange Tribe, Alec is no sure bet to even survive the next vote. Sometimes the dumb surfer guy is actually a disarmingly shrewd charmer like Jay and sometimes the dumb surfer guy is just a dumb surfer guy.

11. Nick
The Kentucky lawyer has a thing for alliances with stronger males and a thing for corny nicknames for those alliances. The Rockstar Alliance isn't particularly clever or particularly staunch, but it's good enough to give us a team name to replace #vytas. We're the Slamtown Rockstars. At least until we think of something better.

10. Alison
We haven't seen or heard much from Alison. She seems unlikely to ruffle many feathers or make a serious push at the million bucks.

9. Dan
Dumb Dan bemoaned being separated from his girlfriend, but it was the best thing that could have happened to him. Dan landed on the powerhouse Green tribe where he should continue to accumulate points and build relationships. In the unlikely event of a Green loss, Dan could be their first to go.

8. Kara
She's sharp enough to appreciate the separation from Dan, but the switch didn't go well for Kara. She was the only one who stuck with Natalia and would appear to be Orange's next target. I think Kara is calm and savvy enough to mend things with Alec - or help arrange his demise.

7. Mike
He's proven he can hang with the kids and he's proven his strategic acumen. My issue with Mike is the same issue he identified - he's on the Purple tribe which figures to be making frequent Tribal Council appearances.

6. Carl
Cool new twist with the "Idol Nullifier." It's the rare advantage that's optimized by sharing with others. It will be interesting to see how it's employed by Carl and his pals. His stay on Exile Island shouldn't hurt him, as he's re-entering the game onto a tribe without set alliances. Plus it would be a surprise for Orange to return to Tribal before Purple.

5. Angelina
She did land on Purple, but it would be an upset to see Angelina removed from her tribe before Natalie or other Purples. I'm concerned she might be a little too headstrong, a little too unnecessarily influential, but it wouldn't be surprised to see Angelina head a post-merge female alliance down the stretch.

4. John
The Mayor of Slamtown is doing everything a contender should be doing at this stage. He doesn't complain, he doesn't ruffle feathers, he gets screentime, he's shown charisma and self-awareness, he's linked up with the right people, he's on the powerhouse tribe and he hasn't yet displayed a protein problem.

3. Gabby
Gabby is a little tough to evaluate at this point, as she's had some emotional struggles and considers herself first on the chopping block of her tribe. But that is the powerhouse tribe, she has the strongest alliance in the game with its strongest player and she knows how to talk to people. The edit suggests a deep run.

2. Davie
It seems elementary, but most castaways can't keep their idols to themselves. Davie has managed to do it so far - and managed to negotiate disadvantageous tribe swap & council without using that idol. He deftly manipulated Goliath-weighted Orange to a Natalia vote without any fanfare - a sign of great social skill.

1. Christian
Christian has been the most powerful castaway since day one. He's also gotten the most airtime. Seemingly everyone wants to ally with him. His alliances are so intimate betrayal seems unlikely. He's already building a resumé for Final Tribal and figures to garner plenty of points along the way with his puzzle prowess. Christian went 1/2 in the draft and I assume that's where he'd go if we re-drafted tomorrow.

11 comments:

Eric said...

1. My team sucks. Anyone wanna trade?

2. Natalie DOW

3. Natalia dumbass of the week.

4. I was never going to win but my accidental Jessica pick was costly.

5. Also losing that challenge was costly.

6. My 4 and 5 year old kids are now curious each week about who was voted off the island. They also want to know how they got off the island. And why are they always on the beach? Also while watching NBA highlights my daughter wanted to know if Jimmy Butler got voted off the island.

7. I'M NOT IN LAST!

Margot said...

Great post, Moon! I was giggling through the first part and also wondering how Michal would've written this week's blog. Will she ever apologize for trashing your pick of John? (My guess: NO! absolutely not!) Will it hurt her in the long run? Will you organize a coup to vote her out???

Oh, wait, that's not the game, is it?

Anyway, I really enjoyed your perspective. If I were a voting member of the group I'd give Bi at least -5. Her decision was close to being medevaced, but she could've stayed if she'd wanted. I'm not saying she should've jeopardized her career for this game, but not sure why such a decision shouldn't get a fairly significant penalty.

I was rooting for Alec to blindside Natalia because she was so obnoxious, but it really was not a smart move for him. And his smugness makes it clear that he doesn't have a clue.

Did you ask for DOW? I think Natalie should get it again. Natalia is a strong candidate but she already got dinged.

TheGraveWolf said...

Nice post Luna. Really funny as well as insightful. Reminded me of some of your earlier work (non bachelor) that I so looked forward to reading and have, on occasion, gone back to re-read time and again just like I do with my favorite novels.

Very helpful for me to see these individual power rankings/analysis as last night's episode was my first glimpse of the new season.

I can tell you that Michal was definitely dismayed by the way things went in this episode but was relieved that it was Natalia, and not Davie, that ultimately was sent home.

I can also tell you that Michal audibly gasped when.... the reward for the challenge was shown to be breakfast pastries.

Good luck to you and Margot trying to figure out what goes on in her head.

The bashing of John during the draft reminds me of last season's Wendel pick. I can tell that you are enjoying this as much as Michal enjoyed Wendel's rise.

I was impressed with the 'nerd' tribe and it does seem like Christian is destined for a deep run.

I thought that Jeff specifically asked Bi if she was quitting? Seems like a penalty of some sort is definitely warranted. Interested to hear what Doug/Bri thinks.

Having essentially been a silent partner/non watcher for this season and last season I am getting a little more excited to watch how this year's fantasy pool plays out. Will A-Z finally lurch out of the cesspool they have resided in for so long? Will MoonBee notch a critical pool win to get within reach of the champs? Will Eric ever find his pond water? What did Phil cook for dinner last night?



Bag said...

Super sharp blog post stack, Moon. You set it up by taking Pickle to Slamtown then brought it back with quite a few compliments.

I agree with your assessment of the Bi's Knee(s) situation. 0 or -3 if on a scale. I also agree this is not a big loss as she was not going anywhere.

Natalie will be my DoW until she is ousted, but not sure when that will be as she is a great shield that savvy players may want to keep around.

GnightMoon said...

Taking Pickle to Slamtown - that's the team name! Thanks Bag.

Eric said...

I didn't really understand what Slamtown was until last night. There are rumors that I thought it was a real town. I will find pond water. Why isn't it a -5 for Bi? How did she get off the island? Natalie did not train for this event. Yes, endurance is something you can train for. It cannot be faked. Is anybody blessing these rains? I should have used numbers for each of these thoughts.

Doug said...

Busy day. Just now getting to my comments.

I believe our quitter rule is actually binary. Meaning -10 unless there is an extreme situation that the pool members vote shouldn’t count, and thus changing to a zero. Bi quit. I was yelling at the TV during the first 5 mins of this episode that Bi shouldn’t be digging me such a deep (-20) hole if her knee is really hurt that bad. Based on the scoring I saw go up on the spreadsheet, it sounds like Michal agreed on the -10 for quitting (unless someone else was scoring this week who also agreed with me). The edit also gave her a “Bye Felicia” as she got about a 1 minute sob story before being forgotten forever by Jeff and the rest of the show. Bi could have tried to go on and pick less physical parts of each challenge, but she choose to quit instead. She deserves -10 for not trying harder on this once in a lifetime opportunity. I get why she did it. I wouldn’t have. I hate this damn pool.

...That is until my other player miraculously skirted the tribal vote, due very little of her own doing, and a #1 pick for 2 pool teams got blindsided instead. Dumb on Natalia for being so paranoid. Dumb on Alec for making this big move at this time. It certainly helped the intrigue of the show in general as well as immediately spiced up the pool a bit (despite the 2 front runners breaking out). I think there is plenty of Survivor left to keep this interesting. And John, while very impressive through to this point, can still fall to protein deficiency and/or cockiness. I’m hoping both. I love this damn pool.

Doug said...

Also, Natalie is my DoW for deciding not to even try to get to know the new “Davids” on her tribe because she assumes they will be easy picking. Dumb move as a player and douchey move as a person.

Phil said...

Dang it! I typed a great post and then this stupid thing deleted it!

Awesome post Moon!

Sigh, I don't want to retype everything.

My team went from first to worst in a hurry.

Natalie is DOW until she leaves

I had some other great thoughts and now I'm just frustrated.

Alec just dug his grave, he should crawl into it as his game and my team are over!

Michal Greenberg said...

I'm late to this party but wanted to say:

1) Thanks to all of you for the compliments you've been passing my way this season

2) Moon's blog & these comments deserve all the same compliments & more. This is the greatest reality TV pool ever.

3) Survivor has been dull the last few seasons. Not sure if it's this season or if it's us, but I'm suddenly back in love with the show.

4) Phil, n00b mistake to not copy your whole comment before hitting publish!

Michal Greenberg said...

Also it was me who gave -10 to Bi for quitting & stand by that decision. Glad to see Doug, who is 100% the next person after me to make decisions re: scoring, stands by that despite it being a devastating blow to his team.