Friday, March 11, 2011

Redemption Island: Episode 4

Poor Russell. He wanted it so bad, and was completely crushed when he lost on Redemption Island. What really bums me out though is that he did such a beautiful job of trying to ruin his team's mojo by revealing so much information. But he told Phillip & Kristina, the two people least capable of making good use of it.

I hated the challenge for this week - usually Survivor does a better job of avoiding blatant product placement, but this was a huge fail for me. I also didn't like that so much of the challenge could rest on only 2 team members. These are still supposed to be team challenges, not Boston Rob v. Rooster expos.

My absolute favorite part of this episode was their focus on Phillip's underwear. I laughed so hard at Boston Rob's comments that I had to change my team name. Phillip may not last much longer, but his underwear will be remembered for months after he's gone.

Phillip. Phillip, Phillip, Phillip. Sigh. What am I to do with you? Ben & I had an interesting discussion of this whacky fellow last night. What really makes him unique is that he's super weird, super annoying, but also very aware of the fact. He knows that everyone hates him, but he can't not be who he is. He knows his personality will almost certainly get him voted out. Which is actually really refreshing after dealing with the likes of Coach. Coach was nuts too, but he thought he was awesome. Phillip has no such delusion. He just can't help himself. So while I can't imagine being stuck with him for more than 48 hours without slapping him in the face, I'm still cheering for him. Him and his saggy-bottom panties.


The Standings
 
Team #Winning!: Moon - 41 pts
1. Boston Rob (15 pts)
2. David (13 pts)
3. Krista (13 pts)

Team Evil Crushell: Courtney - 38 pts
[1. Evil Russell (10 pts)]
2. Sarita (13 pts)
3. Julie (15 pts)

Team Cockydoodlebug: Doug/Bri - 33 pts
1. Grant (5 pts)
2. Rooster (23 pts)
3. Andrea (5 pts)

Team Fabioesque: Dachui - 32 pts
1. Mike (15 pts)
2. Matt (2 pts)
3. Stephanie (15 pts)

Team Haterz Gonna Hate: Bag - 25 pts
[1. Francesca (0 pts)]
2. Kristina (10 pts)
3. Steve (15 pts)

Team Saggy-Bottom Panties: Me - 15 pts
1. Phillip (5 pts)
2. Ashley (5 pts)
3. Natalie (5 pts)


Power Rankings

1. Team Cockydoodlebug - I still believe that this is the strongest team this season, and I'm pleased to see my graph backing me up on that! Cockydoodlebug has been making steady progress throughout the season so far, regardless of who is winning challenges.


2. Team #Winning! -  I was worried that David was going to be like Marty - always trying to show everyone else how smart he is. Right now he's turning into one of my favorite players. He's laying low, making really good observations, and keeping his options open. I'd be shocked if he didn't make the jury.


Julie, is that you?

3. Team Evil Crushell - Russell was crushed, but team Evil Crushell lives on! Courtney nabbed the two strongest women from the strongest tribe & I think she can still do well. Craggy-faced Julie is one of my favorites - she's clever & positive, and reminds me of that stone guy from the Neverending Story.

4. Team Fabioesque -  I'm so happy that we're giving the winner of Redemption Island challenges 1 point. It's such an insignificant amount that it's almost an insult, but I think that Matt would be really proud - if he knew about our pool - that he was still earning points for his team. Definitely rooting for him in the Matt v. Kristina duel next week!

5. Team Saggy-Bottom Panties - My team moved up! Woo hoo! My team didn't improve as much as my team name, but I think that should count for something. Plus, Bag's team got much worse, finally dipping into that "This team is actually worse than having Phillip" level.  

6. Team Haterz Gonna Hate - Bag's team is going down the toilet fast. While I disagree with Moon that Bag is bad at the pool (Parvati anyone?) he certainly is on a cold streak. Steve is solid though - he's older which helps him appear to not be a physical threat, but the dude is still tough. He could easily go far, especially if Purple Tribe keeps winning.

8 comments:

GnightMoon said...

I think you're severely underrating Fabioesque. It's looking more and more like Matt is gonna get another shot at this game, and has the stones to take a shot at Boston Rob. Meanwhile, Mike is probably the tourney's #1 seed at this point.

Doug said...

Why did Rooster have to go and tell everyone about his idol? Roosters gotta crow, I guess. Hopefully this doesn't bite him in the ass.

I'm not sure Mike is as strong as we all thought at first. He is definitely up there, but Steve, Rooster, David, and Julie all seem to be leading that team at different times.

Bye Bye Evil Russel. You're game was tired and known. At least Rob is trying new things.

GnightMoon said...

lol every time I click on this page I start laughing at that Neverending Story rock guy and the caption.

Michal Greenberg said...

Very disappointing about Rooster, especially after we gave him props for keeping it secret! Also strange that everyone else in Rooster's alliance is calling it "our" idol now. If anyone has the guts to take Boston Rob out it's him. Rooster is quirky & extremely confident, which is an awesome combination. He'll be overlooked b/c of his quirk, and then he'll take out his competition when they're least expecting it!

While I think Mike could be a strong player I was put off by his "we had to cut out the cancer" anti-Russell fanaticism. Did anyone else get the impression that Mike was turning dislike of a man into something he believed was greater? I got the impression he felt like he'd just driven Satan out of Nicaragua, and now all the good people were safe again! That sort of extremism isn't good for the long haul.

Glad you liked the pic! I'm thinking of doing a "if these players were puppets" theme one time - Steve's definitely a Sam Eagle.

courtney said...

totally agreed on sam eagle :)

poor julie...spent too much time in the sun on her stand-up paddle boards (i feel your pain julie!) that now she's a craggy rock :/

saggy-bottom panties just makes me think of soggy-bottom boys, makes me want to start singing "in constant sorrrooooowwww....[insert witty comments about gross pink man-panties]"

courtney said...

surprised there hasnt been more talk about russell and his cry-fest....which the commercials prior to the episode told me "YOU WILL BE TOTALLY SHOCKED!!!!!!!!" about. yet, somehow, all of us, not that shocked. hahaha!

courtney said...

wait, how did sarita and rooster both get -2 points on week three? they BOTH sat out a challenge??

and also, i have a bone to pick with whoever decided my team should be carolina blue on the graph!! :P

Michal Greenberg said...

Google documents chose randomly, but you make a good point. I've changed your color :). And yeah, Rooster & Sarita both sat out that challenge.