Thursday, March 7, 2019

Survivor Extinction: Draft & E3

Survivor Pool Season 38 aka The Edge of Extinction is already being touted as potentially the most well-drafted and competitive season of the pool yet. I'm excited to see how things pan out! Here's some early press/quotes:

"I have no shit to talk." - Moon

"Having fewer blondes this season helped me remember who was who during the draft, and focus on what's really important; drafting players with my name." - Eric

"Seriously? Survivor is still making new seasons?" - Random Co-Worker

"Jeff Probst & I use the same anti-aging hyperbaric chamber company. I highly recommend them to anyone attempting to stop the aging process." - Mike Krzyzskewski

"Wendy is my kind of crazy." - Mark the Chicken



The Teams:

MegaDregs "The Undraftable" - 4 pts
  • Keith (0 pts)
  • Keith (0 pts)
  • Reem (0 pts)
  • Reem (0 pts)
  • Wendy (2 pts)
  • Wendy (2 pts)

Michal & Ben "The Hammer" - 13 pts
  • Joe (3 pts)
  • Lauren (2 pts)
  • Wentworth (2 pts)
  • Victoria (2 pts)
  • Julia (2 pts)
  • Wardog (2 pts)

Doug & Bri "Well, That Sucked" - 13 pts

  • Rick (2 pts)
  • Chris (2 pts)
  • Chris (2 pts)
  • Ron (2 pts)
  • Aurora (3 pts)
  • Julia (2 pts)


Eric "Eric" - 16 pts

  • Eric (3 pts)
  • David (2 pts)
  • Gavin (3 pts)
  • Wentworth (2 pts)
  • Julie (3 pts)
  • Aurora (3 pts)


MoonBee "Nerdy White Dudes" - 18 pts

  • Rick (2 pts)
  • David (2 pts)
  • Gavin (3 pts)
  • Victoria (2 pts)
  • Wardog (2 pts)
  • Aubry (7 pts)


Baggins "Using My Rage Over Last Season to Draft Like a Pro" - 20 pts

  • Joe (3 pts)
  • Eric (3 pts)
  • Lauren (2 pts)
  • Ron (2 pts)
  • Julie (3 pts)
  • Aubry (7 pts)



The Draft:

There's not a lot to criticize, really. The draft was quick, professional, and kind of badass.

  • I think Doug & Bri were the only team to double-draft a player, Chris. Survivor Gods insta-punished this decision by ousting Chris & effectively eliminating this team from contention. (Unless this Edge of Extinction twist gets people back in play much faster than I'm anticipating...)
  • I'm a little surprised no one drafted Wendy just to go against the chalk (am I using that phrase correctly?). Before last night's episode I was regretting the decision not to do so myself. Then I saw the "next time on Survivor" and slept like a baby.


Power Rankings:

1. MoonBee - I think the nerdy white dudes are in the driver's seat this season. MoonBee stacked the Rick/David duo while I stacked their competition with Wentworth/Lauren. Should be an interesting & exciting show-down!

2. Baggins - I'm also a fan of Bag's draft. Ron & Julie could both go really far - those were savvy late-round pick ups. Aubry coming in strong with an idol find in her dreg position doesn't hurt either.

3. Michal & Ben - We themed toward drafting returning players, which might seem risky but they do tend to last longer than what the early threats against them would indicate. Not sure if it'll pay off, but I like the combo of returnees/muscle & (hopefully) crafty new chicks.

4. Eric - Eric doesn't know who Aurora is, and I don't know who Eric is. I might have been confusing him with Chris? I'm looking at his pic right now & can't remember him, which isn't a great sign. I also think Gavin went a smidge high in the draft (but seriously not by much), which is another reason I'm ranking this team a little lower. Overall still a really strong team.

5. Doug & Bri - Doug & Bri were probably watching last night & feeling pretty great. Chris played the role of Hero in the reward challenge, he's building connections with everyone. The only names being tossed around are Wentworth  & Wendy. And then that dope decides he has to play a game honestly where the entire strategy  is based on deception. They still have a sliver of hope, though - there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of overlap with their remaining team & anyone else's, so you might still have a magic combination of players.


Douche of the Week:

Wendy. I can't even

4 comments:

GnightMoon said...

Great quotes.

I won't even talk shit about Bri & Doug. I thought having the only stack could weaponize their squad in a competitive season.

I thought it was hilarious that wise David told Chris not to tell Wardog the plan, then Chris told Wardog the plan and that led to Chris getting voted out (why exactly I don't really understand).

Wardog is an insane maniac. He is going to burn everything he touches until he's voted out. He seems like a B-list version of Tony. Wardog DoW.

It doesn't make sense to eat a chicken before going to tribal council. I can understand offing the rooster early, but a hen is going to provide like 30 eggs over the course of the game.

Wentworth looks like the biggest beneficiary of the upcoming tribe swap. She was fortunate to escape the last two tribals. If not for her Guardian Maniac she'd be toast.

I'm fine with "Nerdy White Folks" or "No Shit To Talk" for a team name.

Bag said...

I'll keep my assigned team name, thanks! Wardog for DOW. From the pool perspective, seeing Aubry randomly find the idol was the highlight of the episode. I also thought the reward challenge was pretty creative.

Doug said...

Still trying to figure out how the tables got turned on Chris. Hoping he can easily beat out the losers on the island with him, but we really need to know the format of what the hell is happening with that.

I'll go Wardog DoW as well. Many because he eliminated my double stack. But also he's mostly a Douche.

Margot said...

I loved your quotes! And that you can't id Eric. I can't either. In fact, I didn't realize there was someone named Eric or Gavin until this week (3/20).