Thursday, October 8, 2015

Cambodia: Episode 3

Tribal switch-up on the 3rd episode! My oh my, no one was expecting that. At first I thought this changed everything about the pool, but in reality it just highlighted who all the strong & adaptable players are, and who just isn't cutting it. Mostly our picks are spot-on with that, which again shows the strength of this pool. (If anyone else ever tries to join this pool, I think they'd find themselves woefully outmatched by this group of veterans.)

The exception to this is team MoonBee whose team was essentially sent to the slaughterhouse when 75% of it suddenly found themselves on the "build from scratch" tribe. It was terrible luck that both Abi & Peih Gee wound up there. Before they all opened their cute little wicker boxes, both were probably thinking "at least I won't have to live with that nut job anymore...."

I think the blue tribe ended up being slightly physically superior to the other tribes, but their confidence, overall happiness with their tribe, and apparent team unity are what is really going to make them tough to beat coming up. If the other tribes can come together and work as a team then challenges could become competitive. Somehow I don't see that happening... at least not for the yellow tribe!


The Teams:
Thank you Doug & Bri for submitting a team name. Bagdrea & MoonBee did not submit team names, so permanent names have been selected on their behalf :) 

 Michal & Ben - Contrarian Ninja Stack: 55 points
  1. Tasha (10 pts)
  2. Kelley (8 pts)
  3. Stephen (12 pts)
  4. Kimmi (12 pts)
  5. Kass (13 pts)

Bagdrea - Ghost Coaster: 31 points
  1. Jeremy (17 pts)
  2. Jeff (0 pts)
  3. Monica (12 pts)
  4. Kelly (2 pts)
  5. Abi-Maria (0 pts)

Doug & Bri - Survivor MacGyver: 26 points
  1. Spencer (2 pts)
  2. Joe (13 pts)
  3. [Shirin (-4 pts)]
  4. Terry (3 pts)
  5. Ciera (12 pts)

MoonBee - Woofully Inadequate: 15 points
  1. [Vytas (-5 pts)]
  2. Woo (0 pts)
  3. Keith (13 pts)
  4. Savage (10 pts)
  5. [Peih Gee (-3 pts)]

Power Rankings:

1. Survivor MacGyver: Doug & Bri are suddenly looking golden. The tribal switch helped Spencer in a huge way, and with three players on the challenge-dominant team, they are looking to earn some massive points over the next few episodes. Terry is in the hot seat right now on his tribe, but I don't think he was wrong in feeling safe - their tribe is almost certainly going to finish 1st or 2nd for a while. Although maybe the producers will switch up the tribes again after a couple episodes - wouldn't that be fun!

2. Contrarian Ninja Stack: Contrary to popular belief, ninjas never wore black. They dressed as peasants and farmers... and always wore their buffs. :) The tribal switch-up gave us the most well-balanced team, which bodes well for us being able to maintain a lead in the points standing. However, it seems clear that Spencer is going to usurp Stephen's spot in his alliance, and I suspect we'll lose him in the next 1-3 episodes. Kimmi's not getting enough air time, but Kass, Kelley & Tasha are all still looking really strong. Love how Tash took control both after the challenge & at camp. She's looking like the strong player we remember!

3. Ghost Coaster: If Tasha & Savage really knew who they were working with, I think there's no way they would have voted out Peih Gee. Jeff & Abi are absolutely the riskier alliance, but they must not fully realize that yet. This worked out great for Bagdrea, though, who managed to dodge 2 bullets this episode. Jeff's meltdown at the challenge was exactly the sort of thing I was expecting from him, though I wasn't expecting him not to be punished for it! Bagdrea still has a full stable, but 2 of them are ghosts (Kelly & Monica), and the other 3 are mentally swingy so there's no chance this team can ever feel safe. Or, in Doug's words: "You must be this crazy to get airtime on this ride."

4.Woofully Inadequate: Terrible, terrible episode for Woofully Inadequate. They're down to 3 players, 2 of whom are on the worst tribe. Those team dynamics are so unstable that I can't even say that Savage is safe. If he sneezes wrong tomorrow he might suddenly be on the chopping block! Keith is still doing well, but 1 strong player is not going to be enough to win this season.

Douche of the Week:

 Abi!

7 comments:

TheGraveWolf said...

My team rankings are as follows:

1. Contrarian Ninja Stack
2. Ghost Coaster - Bag's team really lucked out on a cool name. If it was up to me I would have named you guys 'Cat Butthole' or 'Cosmo Pollutes the Earth'.
3. Survivor MacGuyver
4. Woofully Inadequate - This is an appropriate name for a team that misses the deadline. My second choice was 'W00t for Donks'

Individual Power Rankings - I'm going to try to focus on how people are getting portrayed (edited) during this week's analysis.

1.JEREMY had a great episode this week. He found the idol and is in the majority alliance on his tribe. Big favorite to make merge.

2. SPENCER seemingly was saved by this mix up and I have a paranoid thought that maybe it was done to increase his chance to stay in the game. He looks to have a good bond with Jeremy. If he and Jeremy don't end up in an alliance together I will send CBS hate mail for forcing us to watch that painful conversation about Spencer and his girlfriend. Logically, he should be lower on this list but based on his edit I see him going deep. Favorite to make merge.

3. TASHA should have been in trouble going into the swap but her tribe is so dysfunctional she was able to put herself into a position of power. I love her edit so far - always clawing out of tough situations. The animals they show during/after her interviews are usually powerful (jungle cats). Favorite to merge.

4. KELLEY still has her idol and is getting good airtime. I think her tribe will target Terry if they go to tribal (unlikely they will). Favorite to merge.

5. JOE seems to be floating his way through the game. He's obviously a great outdoorsman but I don't think he has the strategic chops to win. He will be a big target after the merge. Favorite to merge.

6. KEITH is in the majority on the strongest tribe. Favorite to merge.

7. KASS is getting a redemption type edit and most of her interviews are very positive. She's in the majority on the strongest tribe. Better than average shot at the merge.

8. CIERA needs to get more airtime and this week's episode was a step in the right direction. She's in the majority on a strong tribe. Better than average shot at the merge.

9.KIMMI is not getting as much air time as I would have hoped but she is still in the majority on the second strongest tribe. Better than average shot at the merge.

See part 2 below...

TheGraveWolf said...

Individual Rankings Continued...

10. SAVAGE has an edit that is really confusing for me. I can't put my finger on why but I don't like him much. Maybe because of his 'sweet' story about stealing his friend's girlfriend? On a dysfunctional tribe. Questionable to make the merge.

11. MONICA is still a ghost but finds herself in the majority on her tribe. I could see her being an early jury member. Questionable to make the merge.

12. VARNER may have schemed himself off the island. Michal made a good read that he was playing too hard and it looks like it may have bitten him on the ass. Varner is strategically stronger than players like Woo or Abi so don't count him out entirely. Questionable to make merge.

13. WOO is out of his depth in a season full of returning players. He may bumble his way to the merge but he is a big dog to win this season. Questionable to make merge.

14. TERRY may be going home if his team goes to tribal. He is constantly being shown talking about how great a position he is in. Danger signal. Questionable to make the merge.

15. ABI MARIA improved her position this week but I see no long term potential for her going forward. The best she can hope is that someone takes her to the end as a no vote option. She's probably a little too volatile for anyone to do that though. Questionable to make the merge.

16.KELLY is a non-entity and the only airtime she gets is failing at challenges. Doubtful to make the merge.

17. STEPHEN is in trouble for Contrarian Ninja Stack. He is getting a weird edit. I really doubt he is constantly standing on the outskirts of camp looking awkward but that's the way it seems. Doubtful to make the merge.

DoW is Varner.

Michal Greenberg said...

I think Joe might be too high in your rankings & ability maria too low. I see her making the merge. But overall solid analysis & after reading this I'm more inclined to agree worth your power rankings than the ones I posted. Go Tasha & Kelley!

Michal Greenberg said...

Lol auto correct changed abi's name to the opposite of what she is :)

TheGraveWolf said...

Even with a target on his back and bad Survivor scheming ability, Joe is still far and away the biggest physical threat and most likely to win immunity challenges. He isn't someone to ruffle feathers so he may end up in an alliance and go far. I don't think I can rank him any lower at this point even though I don't see him winning.

I could see Abi making the merge too. She's probably ranked a little low but I don't see any long term potential for her.

Doug said...

Great Episode for the MacGyvers. We couldn't have asked for much better. Only if one of our players found the idol instead of Jeremy. And personally I would have liked Abi to have gone home, but her or Peih Gee going home won me a bet (or two), so not bad either way.

I am still cautious about our team being at the top of the Power Rankings. We have strong individuals left in Spencer and Joe and I'm pretty sure they will target each other if the both make the merge. I don't see them working together. Ninja Stack has players that are more likely to work together and a big points lead. Their players also will continue to grab points since they only have Tasha on the bottom tribe. And she is looking like the beast they are portraying her to be.

Ghost Coaster isn't out of it yet. They might be a little points starved, but Jeremy has potential.

Woofully has too much weight on Keith's shoulders. I like the guy. But he's a longshot in this group.

There is something about Savage that rubs me the wrong way. I had Terry ranked over him in our draft list. They both were older, but strong on their seasons. Just something intangible about Savage, from his interview vids and his airtime so far. Not sure what it is though. Maybe it will reveal itself.

I'm going Abi for DoW just based on her audacious statement at tribal about how much "loyalty" means to her and weighs on her voting decision. That chick is the opposite of loyal and will turn on you if you sneeze too close to her.

GnightMoon said...

There is a vague sleaziness to Savage but I think y'all are overrating it. There was also a vague sleaziness to Vytas that I completely whiffed on, so maybe you guys know better.

Abi-Maria DoW. I was right to be disappointed when she was cast, and I wish they'd give less airtime to her shenanigans.

I tend to agree with most of Wolfy's rankings. I would have the older dudes - Savage, Varner and Terry higher. They all receive substantial positive screen time. I think at least two of them are going deep.