Thursday, November 11, 2010

Survivor Nicaragua: Episode 9

Wednesday is a big TV night at Chateau Wolf - we have 4 or 5 shows that all come on that night, and we marathon our way through all of them. Last night's agenda looked like this: WSOP Main Event Final Table, Survivor, America's Next Top Model, and Top Chef: Just Desserts. (We also watched TUF, but I fell asleep in the middle of it, so it doesn't count. We also usually watch Modern Family, but it wasn't on for some reason.) Last night's marathon was full of excitement, suspense, and big moves- in all of the shows except Survivor. There were a lot of opportunities for all of these things, but the contestants passed them by.

Instead, what we saw was a continuation of the Brenda Dominance. Two alliances lined up, and then Brenda picked the one she liked better. To me it was cool guys v. misfits. It was fun to see the misfits win, but it was also predictable and dull.


Standings:*

Team Black Snake Widow: Me - 63 points
1. Brenda (22 pts)
[2. Alina (28 pts)]
3. Holly (13 pts)

Team Klepto: Moon - 46 points
[1. Jill (11 pts)]
2. Dan (7 pts)
3. NaOnka (28 pts)

Team Sanity Crushers: Courtney - 42 points
1. Jane (9 pts)
2. Benry (20 pts)
[3. Kelly (13 pts)]

Team Blonde Bimbos: Dachui - 42 points
1. Chase (18 pts)
[2. Jimmy J. (0 pts)]
3. Fabio (24 pts)

Team Pinky & the Brain: Doug/Bri - 32 points
[1. Marty (17 pts)]
2. Purple Kelly (13 pts)
[3. Yve (2 pts)]

Team SuccoSash: Baggins - 18 points
1. Sash (14 pts)
[2. Tyrone (2 pts)]
[3. Jimmy T (0 pts)]

*Determining what points should count for what was difficult this week. After consultation with the good Doctor, we determined that Chase would not be penalized for sitting out the challenge, since a) it wasn't his choice, and b) he did sort of participate anyways. We also determined that the men (minus Chase) would receive "team reward" points instead of "individual reward" points (2 points v. 4) because they really were a team. The scoring of these sorts of challenges always becomes a gray area post-merge. I'm happy to talk about this with anyone who disagrees with the scoring & would love to hear suggestions for how to improve this in the future!


Power Rankings:

1. Black Snake Widow - This episode only helped my team. I got 6 points from Brenda, who is a strong competitor in every challenge. She chose to side with the alliance that Holly is in, so they're probably going to go deep. In a normal season I'd be worried that Brenda & Sash's attitude this past episode would make them targets, but they just eliminated the only other person in the game with more than 10 brain cells so I think they're safe.

2. Klepto - If I were on the jury this season and NaOnka made the final 3 this would be my question/comment at final tribal: "Nay, I'm willing to give you my vote, but only if you promise to go to a psychiatrist if you win. Can you promise me that?" And I would. This is the most unorthodox style I've ever seen and it's impressing me. And I get the feeling it might impress others too.

3. Sanity Crushers - I think the Sanity Crushers and Blonde Bimbos are neck and neck. Both teams have a player in each alliance. I'm putting the Crushers above the Bimbos because I think Chase would sacrifice himself to get Jane further in the game. Jane's on shaky ground already, but hopefully with Marty gone she'll start flying under the radar again.

4. Blonde Bimbos - One bonus of having players in different alliances is that if a coup happens, there's a good chance that Fabio (or Benry) could actually win the entire thing... I'm taking a moment right now to enjoy this possibility. Chase got air time for the first time in a while, but all it revealed was that he's Brenda's whipping boy. Overall it seems like the Bimbos are living up to their name - they seem to make bad decision after bad decision, and it's going to bite them in the end.

5. SuccoSash - Doug asked me if I thought Brenda & Sash would stick together until the end. I think Brenda is definitely capable of betraying Sash, but I don't think Sash works that way. If he does betray her I would be thrilled. It would make for a really interesting twist in what is currently a predictable game. And if Sash went on to win, and Bag did too, it would be the greatest come-back ever. None of this is going to happen of course, but a girl can dream.

6. Pinky & the Brain - Losing Marty was the death knell for Doug & Bri. Now all they have left is Worse-Than-A-Cactus. Sure she's in a good alliance, but she obviously won't win. Although, Purple Kelly does have value as being so useless that she'd be great to take to the final three. If I were Brenda, I'd try to plan it so that the final 4 contestants were me, Dan, Holly, and Purple Kelly. Then I'd be up against the three weakest competitors in the final immunity challenge and have a cake-walk at final tribal council.

3 comments:

courtney said...

"None of this is going to happen of course, but a girl can dream."
(insert "Chase" for "a girl" and you have his whole game strategy)


i have to say, while Nay is a total freak, i was totally clapping along with her when Marty got voted out last night. did you catch that? Nay clapping? that was definitely my FAVORITE moment of survivor so far. HA!

Doug said...

Go Cactus Kelly! Maybe Brenda will brush up against you and have to be medically removed.

...Can we be Team Cactus now that she is our lone pony?

GnightMoon said...

I wish I felt as good about my team as you do. I would have to put the Bimbos and especially the Crushers ahead right now.

This episode was a how-to win and lose at Survivor. Marty has the brains of Brenda & Sash, but not the self-control. Ultimately that doomed him. The others who struggle with emotional control (Chase & Naonka) are on their way out. Hard to imagine anyone but Brenda, Sash, or Benry winning at this point. And they have been the three best players all along.