Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Survivor Ghost Island: Episodes Many

There's a lot to cover over the last few episodes, but the only thing I can really think about is how annoying Kellyn is. Her emotions are both overblown and feel really inauthentic. Her backstory is the most inexplicable of all the remaining castaways, and her determination to trust her gut has nearly led to disaster multiple times.

Before I spend far too much time dwelling on her, though, let's move on. Since the last blog we've seen the departure of Desiree, a woman who can lie so well it's just plain terrifying. (Also I didn't notice until she made the jury but her breasts are absolutely enormous. Those ladies are all I can see when she's in the frame these days.)

Next to go are Jenna and Michael. Jenna was so forgettable she's lucky I'm even giving her this sentence of space in the blog. But Michael was a blow. He played a really strong game, just ran into some bad luck along the way. Though to be honest someone that burly is always going to have a target on their back. Hopefully we'll see him again soon on an all-stars season!

Finally, Chelsea was the latest casualty in the season. Considering how often the castaways have talked about the men this season being the "strong" players, I'm happy to see that someone finally rightfully targeted the actual strongest player of the season. It was a given that Chelsea wasn't going to make it much longer considering her lack of air time. But her challenge prowess was impressive & I'm annoyed that she didn't get more respect for it.

And now here we sit. SuperDregs are in FIRST place. It's clearly temporary, and yet...



Next comes Eric, who has made an impressive run this season. But with zany Angela being his only leg to stand on, I think it's unlikely he'll make it into the end zone. Which gets us to my team & Baggins. With a slim 9 point lead and an eerily similar team, it really comes down to whether Seabass or Donathan will go the distance.

If I were any other player on the island, I'd definitely be taking Seabass with me to the finals. That dude has done nothing, and would be completely incapable of arguing his case at Final Tribal. Donathan has played a MUCH better game, and I'd love to see him make the finals (though not if it costs us the season).



The Teams:

SuperDreg: 118 points
  • [Chelsea (33 pts)]
  • [Chris (26 pts)]
  • [Chelsea (33 pts)]
  • [Chris (26 pts)]
Eric: 114 points
  • [Michael (32 pts)]
  • [Michael (32 pts)]
  • Angela (19 pts)
  • Angela (19 pts)
  • [Desiree (12 pts)]
Michal & Ben: 90 points
  • Wendell (26 pts)
  • [Jenna (19 pts)]
  • Laurel (19 pts)
  • Sebastian (14 pts)
  • [Desiree (12 pts)]
Bagginses: 81 points
  • [Stephanie (-5 pts)]
  • Wendell (26 pts)
  • [Libby (26 pts)]
  • Laurel (19 pts)
  • Donathan (15 pts)
MoonBee: 52 points
  • [Brendan (-6 pts)]
  • [Libby (26 pts)]
  • Kellyn (7 pts)
  • [Jenna (19 pts)]
  • [James (6 pts)]
Phil: 50 points
  • [Brendan (-6 pts)]
  • Dom (27 pts)
  • Dom (27 pts)
  • [Bradley (1 pts)]
  • [Bradley (1 pts)]
Doug & Bri: 36 points
  • [Stephanie (-5 pts)]
  • Sebastian (14 pts)
  • Donathan (14 pts)
  • Kellyn (7 pts)
  • [James (6 pts)]


Power Rankings:
  1. Michal and Ben - I'm giving us the edge over Baggins due to the slight point advantage & because I think Seabass has a better shot of making the finals than Donathan. But it's basically a toss up.
  2. Bagginses - I absolutely adore the Laurel/Donathan alliance. They have almost never actually agreed with each other in any strategic conversation and they probably have nothing in common at all. But they are both extremely loyal to each other & respect each others' opinions. I love the dynamic! With that being said, I think Donathan is doing well but is being held back by following Laurel's lead. Laurel is playing the best game for herself, but that means Donathan is missing out.
  3. Phil - Dom's the dark horse in this pool. Phil's well behind in points but with a huge run giving him double the points, I cannot count this team out. A couple challenge wins, a properly played idol, and Phil is right in this thing.
  4. Eric - Angela did better than expected this season, but I'm not expecting much more from her. Again, she'd be a great choice to take to finals, but I'm not sure that anyone with power can trust her enough to bring her along. 
  5. SuperDregs - Easily the best Dreg team of Survivor Pool. Well played, dregs, well played. 
  6. Doug and Bri - Doug & Bri have a decent number of players left, but they all are underperforming point-wise. Maybe with SuperChelsea gone, though, a window will open for some late point scoring?
  7. MoonBee - This team is just sad. 


Douche of the Week:

I guess I'll just throw all my DoW votes from the last few weeks at Kellyn. 

5 comments:

Bag said...

I don't remember all the episodes but I'll "split the vote" between desiree and kellyn, and if there is one left over give it to Big Eric.

Eric said...

Is it too late to protest the power rankings? How likely is Phil to catch me?
They made Michael a big target and he never had any power.
You can't convince me that isn't Liv Boeree on the show. Never.
Based on the lack of swamp water over the last two seasons I'm not factoring it into my draft picks anymore.

GnightMoon said...

I really don't understand this contempt for Kellyn. I've enjoyed her from the start and continue to believe she's going to win. Ironically, she's been likened to one Michal Greenberg by multiple members of this pool.

I have no clue what Eric is talking about re: Liv Boeree and swamp water.

I do think we'll see Michael again. He was the best part of a bad season.

Eric said...

Chelsea = Liv Boeree.

swamp water = buy good item at auction = some weird macho head game by Wolf. Ask him for details.

TheGraveWolf said...

Keeping in mind that we are presented with a heavily edited version of a person I can tell you some of the things I don't like about Kellyn, the Survivor character.

Her analogies are terrible (brain vs heart vs gut at TC had me cringing and scratching my head at the same time).

Her confessionals are over wordy, feel forced, and are often corny.

Her strategic game is about as subtle as a Probst 'worth playing for?' question.

She has a hard time controlling her face and emotions and I believe she lacks self/social awareness within the game.

She's probably a nice person in real life but I find her character annoying.