Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Survivor Ghost Island: Draft & Episode 3


We're sticking with our 6 team, double draft format for Ghost Island & here we go! Full drafting order, rules, and scoring can be found in The Spreadsheet. There was relatively low drama, though I got a decent ribbing for drafting Wendell first. 

And now I’m seeing the “previously on Survivor” intro and realizing why. Turns out I missed most of the debate at the end of the previous episode. I’d assumed it was an easy Angela vote & had pretty much stopped watching… But just like Dom & Wendell I will cry about what a disaster last night was & then move on!

Dom was gifted the legacy idol & I’m pretty sure we have a rule for that. Ooh, +1 to you, Dom. Cheers. (clink)

Now we’re on to the team reward challenge that historically is super biased towards the most physical & brutal players. Chelsea sits out & the superdregs are here to prove that we all know what we’re doing!

Purple ends up winning the reward largely thanks to Laurel being a physical beast. When it’s time to pick who’s sent to Ghost Island, the decision is immediately that they go straight to rocks for who goes. Grrrr. Are you not even going to try to play the game? Kellyn is off to the Island and she gets -1 for choosing not to play? Maybe? Was that part of the new rule? I’m annoyed enough by the rock-picking decision that I’m inclined to give Kellyn & the entire purple tribe a -1!

The Chris v. Dom drama is such a waste of energy. I see why others want Chris out since he’s such a bully, I guess, but their feud has put all the targets on those two. And it’s their own fault.

Purple pulls off a massive comeback in the immunity challenge and then we get to watch Bradley put on a display of pompous douchery like I haven’t seen in Survivor before. It’s a law school student / psychopath combo come to life. But in a kind of weird way considering that he’s covered in dirt, not great at challenges, and probably just came back from a poop in the woods.

I’m not following the tribal convo too closely because I’m completely mesmerized by Brendan’s jaw. Has it actually gotten bigger over the last 3 episodes?

Sebastian’s comment of “I don’t know what just happened” will probably epitomize his entire Survivor game this season. That dude doesn’t seem so smart.

For medical reasons, Brendan is sent home. His tribe was so worried his jaw was going to fall right off his face due to its inordinate size. And suddenly drafting Wendell looked like a much better bet than it did at the start of this blog post. Hope.

So far I think this is a promising season. The Ghost Island theme is inoffensive & I enjoy revisiting some of those classic past mistakes. There’s some fools for sure, but there are plenty of players as well. Lots of folks to cheer for & against too. I’m looking forward to it!


The Teams:

Please submit team names soon! 

Bagginses: 20 points
  • Stephanie (0 pts)
  • Wendell (5 pts)
  • Libby (5 pts)
  • Laurel (5 pts)
  • Donathan (5 pts)
Michal & Ben: 9 points
  • Wendell (5 pts)
  • Jenna (0 pts)
  • Laurel (5 pts)
  • Sebastian (0 pts)
  • Desiree (-1 pts)
Doug & Bri: 9 points
  • Stephanie (0 pts)
  • Sebastian (0 pts)
  • Donathan (5 pts)
  • Kellyn (-1 pts)
  • James (5 pts)
Eric: 9 points
  • Michael (0 pts)
  • Michael (0 pts)
  • Angela (5 pts)
  • Angela (5 pts)
  • Desiree (-1 pts)
SuperDreg: 8 points
  • Chelsea (-1 pts)
  • Chris (5 pts)
  • Chelsea (-1 pts)
  • Chris (5 pts)
Phil: 7 points
  • Brendan (-5 pts)
  • Dom (6 pts)
  • Dom (6 pts)
  • Bradley (0 pts)
  • Bradley (0 pts)
MoonBee: 4 points
  • Brendan (-5 pts)
  • Libby (5 pts)
  • Kellyn (-1 pts)
  • Jenna (0 pts)
  • James (5 pts)


Power Rankings:
  1. Bagginses - can it be? Does Baggins really have the best team? It looks pretty well rounded to me. He's got strength with Wendell & Laurel, strategy with Stephanie, and the heart-warming story arc with Donathan. I think this might be a surprisingly good season for this team.
  2. Michal & Ben - Ben didn't have a chance to watch the episodes before the draft, so this one's on me. I was pretty disappointed with my team yesterday but honestly I'm feeling better about it today. Sebastian is dumb as rocks but Laurel was pleasantly impressive.
  3. Eric - Michael is willing to play, and while the double-double draft is risky in my opinion, this team could rake it in going against the chalk like that.
  4. Doug & Bri - I love Stephanie as their top pick, but the rest of their team reads like a Wizard of Oz band. One's searching for his brain, another for love, another for swim lessons, etc. With that being said, Doug & Bri's teams are usually competitive every season, so I don't want to discount them.
  5. Phil - Dom has the potential to do big things this season, but the rest of this team is a disaster. Bradley is the WOAT, and honestly Phil is pretty lucky that I'm not ranking him below the SuperDregs, that's how much I hate that guy. But Dom has enough going for him that he might drag this team along for a while in spite of that pampered, spoiled, Cillian Murphy impersonator.
  6. Moon & Melissa - With Brendan's early exit I think this team could struggle to earn points in challenges. There could be some decent game play here though.
  7. SuperDregs - With 4 players on this team, SuperDregs will be considered just like another team. I still literally know nothing about Chelsea, and I'm just waiting for Chris to be taken out. He reminds me of the bad guy kid from Hunger Games that Catniss takes out at the very end. In both looks & attitude. 




Douche of the Week:

Bradley, obviously.

8 comments:

Eric said...

1. Bradley DOW.

2. I'm not so sure about my team but I like Michael.

3. I also like Dom.

3. My team name: 5 Eggs, 3 Baskets.

4. Is there a Survivor fantasy camp?

5. If we have a DOW should we also have a GSOW (good Samaritan of the week)?

Mark Pickett said...

shouldn't be too hard on Bradley, he's just the babysitter.

Bag said...

BraDoW. Will brainstorm team name...

GnightMoon said...

Team name: RIP Brendan Shapiro (unless we think of something better).

Bradley DoW. I have a feeling he'll be winning this title. Unless he's taken out early. He's being strongly villainized like few I can remember in recent years. I figured that was because he was getting voted out last episode and was surprised when Brendan the Hero (RIP) was ousted. The cocky villain storyline is usually just a one-episode arc.

Sonnenfelds love picking The Villain. It's what they do.

Phil said...

Love me some villains. I probably wouldn't have doubled up on him if I had drafted live but Moon followed my instructions so I have no gripes.

Brendan going out was devastating. I wouldn't at all be offended if I was ranked behind the dregs. With my number 1 pick gone I'm not optimistic about this season's outcome.

The blog is awesome, a definite highlight of the week, sorry it takes me so long to respond sometimes, I'm cooking is my excuse...

Doug said...

Bradley DoW.

Hoping a team name comes to us as our team starts playing a bit harder.

I found out at the end of last week that a girl in my office knew Kellyn at some point in college. She had seen a post that she was a cast-away this season, but no clues were shared on her outcome. My coworker made a comment about Kellyn being smarter than she acts, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Eric said...

I propose a rule for all of our fantasy drafts that gives a 3 point deduction for using the term 'mic drop'. Most teams would be beneficiarers of this rule.

Unknown said...

Is there another post about episode 4 (and/or 5) somewhere?