Sunday, October 9, 2016

XvM: Draft & Episode 3

Season 33 is well on its way and so is the pool! With a theme of GenX v. Millenials (which is already getting tired) it might be overall the youngest cast in Survivor history, including a kid in high school. So far the Millenials seem to be the generation that's a better fit for the game play of Survivor, though it was nice to see the women of GenX proving to be quite adaptable in this last episode.

It's going to be hard to put together solid power rankings this season as folks are moving from the bottom to the top of alliances (and vice versa) in a matter of minutes! First Mari, then Paul... and Figgy is on a roller coaster of positioning within her tribe. The alliance blocks for now seem to be:


  • Ken, David & CeCe
  • Bret & Chris
  • Zeke & Adam
  • Jessica, Sunday & Lucy
  • Taylor, Figgy, Jay & Michelle

Which leaves Michaela, Will & Hannah as free agents. If these stick it's a matter of which blocks ally themselves with each other at any moment as far as who will be voted out. Not sure how anyone can be considered safe in these kind of scenarios. But the way things stand in challenges, I think Millenials are favored, so I think we'll see more GenXers exit early rather than Millenials. 



Draft Order:

  1. Ken (Baggadocious)
  2. Michelle (Doug & Bri)
  3. Zeke (Michal & Ben)
  4. Chris (Moon & Melissa)
  5. Adam (Moon & Melissa)
  6. Jay (Michal & Ben)
  7. Bret (Doug & Bri)
  8. David (Baggadocious)
  9. Jessica (Doug & Bri)
  10. Michaela (Michal & Ben)
  11. Figgy (Baggadocious)
  12. Will (Moon & Melissa)
  13. Hannah (Moon & Melissa)
  14. Taylor (Baggadocious)
  15. Paul (Michal & Ben)
  16. Lucy (Doug & Bri)
  17. CeCe - not drafted
  18. Sunday - not drafted

The Teams:
Some team names are in, but please send me more. Working titles are good, but let me know if/when they are final. You have the next two blog postings... or you will be docked points.

MoonBee "Hannah & the Homeboys" - 15 points
  1. Chris (0 pts)
  2. Adam (5 pts)
  3. Will (5 pts)
  4. Hannah (5 pts)
Baggadocious "DK Double Stacker" - 10 points
  1. Ken (0 pts)
  2. David (0 pts)
  3. Figgy (5 pts)
  4. Taylor (5 pts)
Michal & Ben "Sea Dogs" - 10 points
  1. Zeke (5 pts)
  2. Jay (5 pts)
  3. Michaela (5 pts)
  4. [Paul (-5 pts)]
Doug & Bri "???" - 5 points
  1. Michelle (5 pts)
  2. Bret (0 pts)
  3. Jessica (0 pts)
  4. Lucy (0 pts)

Dregs "Dreggy McBoatface" - 0 points

  1. CeCe (0 pts)
  2. Sunday (0 pts)



Power Rankings:

1. DK Double Stacker: Ben said that this was the best draft Baggadocious has ever had, and I think he's right. Taylor & Figgy are both idiots, but they should be point-rich idiots. Getting Taylor in the last round was probably the deal of the draft. Ken & David are getting the air-time of players who will be around for a while. Yes, both David & Figgy's names have been in the mix for getting voted out... but that could mean a lot or it could come to nothing.

2. Sea Dogs: We trimmed the fat & now this team is lean & crafty. As mentioned above I think the Millenials are a stronger overall group, so hopefully this team will bring in solid points pre-merge & then Michaela & Jay can win a few challenges post-merge. This is the smartest overall team imo, and I think they all have the potential for a deep run.

3.Doug & Bri: Bret's in trouble... maybe... but Michelle is a beast. I wonder how well the Bible missionary will do when it comes time to back-stab a friend, but she was quite crafty in that 2nd episode and I imagine she'll be in the scheming mix for a while. After all, she has Figgy as a human shield protecting her from getting votes at least for now. Jessica & Lucy are solid dregs. I don't think either will do anything amazing, but they'll probably stick around long enough to earn decent points for where they were picked in the draft.

4. Hannah & the Homeboys: I like Will & Adam, but I really dislike Hannah & I'm just not sold on Chris. If GenX loses next time I think he'll be the one to go. Hannah is just a huge spaz and will probably be her own downfall. The real question is if she will take her whole alliance down with her or not.



Douche of the Week:
Paul, for the reason that he was voted out. And for his terrible fishing skills/big talk about his fishing skills.


Dreg Rule:
There isn't a dreg rule this season, but we might add one next season. The deciding factor on what that rule might be will be determined based on how we think we'd act this season. So, 1) if you had the option to pick up a dreg now & drop one of your current players t dreg status at this point, would you? Or, 2) if you had the option to buy a dreg & add them to your stable without losing anyone, how much would you bid for them? Or, 3) if you are a team who just lost a player, would you be willing to spend 5 points or 10 points to pick up one of these dregs? Here are my answers:

1) No
2) Maybe 3 points
3) I definitely wouldn't spend 10, I might spend 5







10 comments:

TheGraveWolf said...

Isn't there the usual dreg rule that if you lose a player before the dregs are out you lose a point?

I think Paul should have a -6...

TheGraveWolf said...

Power Rankings after Episode 3:

Hannah and the Homeboys - 3 Millenials + 1 Chris > 3 Millenials - 1 Paul
DK DBL STACK - This team has chemistry and it could lead to a high ceiling or a low floor
DougBri - Don't really know what to make of this team yet but they have 4 players breathing
Sea Dogs - I like having Millenials only but losing a player and an early big minus puts us on the bottom...for now!

Unknown said...

Why did you have to bring back the Pink Panties?

Bag said...

Paul for DoW.

I agree with the high ceiling low floor assessment for DK. I think that once Talyor or Figgy goes, the remaining person will be safe for a while. The threat is mostly neutralized once they get halved.

What is with Jessica's eyes? The EYES!

1) No
2) 0 points
3) 5 points

Michal Greenberg said...

Jessica's eyes make her look like an alien - it TOTALLY freaks me out!!

Doug said...

Damn Panties!

My DOW vote goes to Hannah for not leaving Zeke alone after tribal. No a good way to try to salvage that "alliance".

We are waiting on our team name to see how far off the deep end Lucy goes on this next episode. Sounds like she summons her inner dictator, so we'll wait to see if we are inspired by that. We'll have a name after this next episode.

Dreg:
1) No
2) 3 Points
3) 5 Points

GnightMoon said...

I was flabbergasted to read these rankings and see us last. I vented to Melissa all the way through Kalamazoo before she admitted she thought our team was weak too. I agree it's not a flashy squad and doesn't have obvious threats, but the simple math of the situation should put us in the mix. GraveWolf laid this out much more effectively & concisely than I was able to with his equation. If you rate the millenials so high, then you have to rate our team high (personally I don't think this is all that important). But we have four players and you have three, so I will bet whatever on Homeboys vs. Sea Dogs.

Paul DoW though I liked Doug's thought on Hannah.

TheGraveWolf said...

I didn't watch the episode, although I received a thorough summary from Michal. As such, I don't think I can vote for DoW but I think my vote would have gone to Hannah. That would have annoyed the piss out of me.

Official prop bet update: Tom's and Michal's difference of opinion in the power rankings has led to a bet. Sea Dogs vs Hannah and the Homeboys - Total points. Winner receives a $50 bottle of alcohol. Loser buys and pours drinks during a night of revelry.

Unknown said...

I watched and Hannah gets my vote for DOW.

Doug said...

Ok, we have a team name. I don't want to ruin the non-blogged about episode for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, so I'll try to be vague-ish.

Our team turns out that it is full of boss(y) ladies that seem to be clashing with each other and anyone that doesn't agree with them (oh, and Bret). Because of this, we will go with "The Real Housewives of Fiji (and Bret)".

Potential abbreviation = TRHoF (and Bret), but I'll leave that ultimately up to the person that has to type it the most.