Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Update: The Casual Sports Fan Experiment

I’m not an obsessive football fan, but I do enjoy the sport and probably watch about 3 games a week. “Watch” is a relative term– usually I have the games on while I’m messing around on my computer, so I’m not catching every play or anything like that. I also watch SportsCenter every morning as I get ready for work, so I catch a decent number of highlights there. I’d say that I have a moderate amount of football knowledge. For example, I know that Matt Schaub is out for the rest of this year, but I have no idea what a nickelback is.

With that being said, I thought it might be interesting to see how this “moderate” football fan might fare in picking the lines on the games each week. Moon, an avid & well researched football fan, is averaging about a .500 record on his choices. My idea for this experiment emerged from the thought that maybe having too much information was actually a bad thing, so I’ve decided to see if I can do any better.

UPDATE: After talking with Bag who just so happens to be doing the same thing as me, I've adjusted the rules a little bit. See below. 


I’ve set a couple of rules for myself during this experiment:

1. I cannot do any research beyond what I normally watch to make these picks. That means I’m making my decisions largely based on the biases of ESPN analysts and what I see in games. On the plus side, I’m pretty aware of the ESPN biases, so at least I’m forearmed on that one.

2. Update - I must pick all the games that week

3.  Moon uses lines issued by 5Dimes, but so far as I can tell, you have to register with the site to see the lines. As a casual fan, that’s way too involved for me. Instead I did a Google search that yielded this website, which I will use for the basis of my picks: http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_lines.shtml.

4.  I’m not actually betting on these games, so don’t freak out Mom!


If all goes well and I don’t fall completely behind schedule (the most likely reason why this experiment will fail), I may try to keep this up next season, which would give me a more accurate idea of how good I am at this sort of thing. 

Here are my picks for week 11:

Really Like:
Raiders -1.5 over VIKINGS
Jets -5 over BRONCOS (sorry Tebow!)
GIANTS -4 over Eagles

Like:
BEARS -3.5 over Chargers
Seahawks +2 over RAMS
Bengals +7 over RAVENS

If Forced to Choose:
BROWNS +1 over Jaguars
49ERS -9.5 over Cardinals
Titans +6 over FALCONS
LIONS -7 over Panthers
REDSKINS +7.5 over Cowboys
Bills +2 over DOLPHINS
Chiefs +15 over PATRIOTS
PACKERS -14 over Bucs

Lock season record: 0-0
Really like season record: 0-0
Like season record: 0-0
If forced to choose season record: 0-0
All games season record: 0-0

3 comments:

Doug said...

Do you look at Moon's picks before making your own, or do you pick yours first?

Michal Greenberg said...

I'm making my own without looking at Moon's picks.

GnightMoon said...

Your lines look fine & accurate.

Great article about this stuff:

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/you_have_no_skill_at_betting_on_nfl_games/

My career record of 40 games above .500 shows (I think, I should see if it's statistically significant) there is some skill to it, but the 52% clip also shows how close it is to flipping coins.