Thursday, February 24, 2011

Redemption Island: Episode 2

Episodes like this completely redeem my faith in Survivor, especially after last season's debacle. I reveled in every minute of the show, watching people outmanuever one another as if they were playing an epic chess match.

Candidates for the LVP award for this episode were Russell & Matt, but Kristina stole the prize with her huge mis-play of her idol. In contention for the MVP battle were Ralph & Boston Rob, but they both ended up losing in a tight race to the Old Spice Man, who is back on the air! He's one of the only people I can think of that will make me stop fastforwarding a show to actually watch a commercial. That's right: Old Spice Man is more powerful than DVR.

Another thing that's exciting in the Suvivor Pool game is my neat little spreadsheet, which you can now access in the right navigation pane. Check out my line graph too which will track our scores throughout the season! And now, for my Oscar-winning acceptance speech: thanks to Kelly, whose Top Chef blog came up with this idea first; to Doug, who helped me figure out how to make my spreadsheet into a Google doc; and to the Wii Play Island board game, for teaching me how much fun line graphs can be.


The Standings

Team Evil Crushell: Courtney - 30 pts
1. Evil Russell (10 pts)
2. Sarita (10 pts)
3. Julie (10 pts)

Team Cockydoodlebug: Doug/Bri - 20 pts
1. Grant (0 pts)
2. Rooster (20 pts)
3. Andrea (0 pts)

Team Fabioesque: Dachui - 20 pts
1. Mike (10 pts)
2. Matt (0 pts)
3. Stephanie (10 pts)

Team ???: Moon - 18 pts
1. Boston Rob (0 pts)
2. David (8 pts)
3. Krista (10 pts)


Team Haterz Gonna Hate: Bag - 15 pts
1. Francesca (0 pts)
2. Kristina (5 pts)
3. Steve (10 pts)

Team Brief(s): Me - 0 pts
1. Phillip (0 pts)
2. Ashley (0 pts)
3. Natalie (0 pts)


Power Rankings

1.  Team Cockydoodlebug - Doug & Bri picked Rooster for entertainment purposes, but little did we all know that they also nabbed a real gem. He's so unassuming with his accent, overalls, and man-sweater, but he's actually quite tricksy. I'm going to enjoy watching him mess with Evil Russell this season.

2. Team Fabioesque - Dachui took a hit with Matt now on RI, but he seems like a likely candidate to make it back on the show - he seems strong & smart and I like his chances. While he takes a vacation though, they still have Mike, who's probably one of the biggest threats to win the game. We'll see how it goes.

3. Team Evil Crushell - Honestly, trying to rank the top 4 teams so far is way too hard. Not enough is known about these players! Courtney is still ranked 3rd, mostly because I don't know anything about the ladies on this team. Will they be power players, coat tail riders, or possibly other loons that will keep Phillip company? Russell looks like he might be in trouble... again... but I'm not concerned yet.

4. Team ??? - I underestimated Boston Rob, though I'm happy to say I'm not the only one. Now though I think it's time to start leading his team to a win so he doesn't have to worry so much about managing his minions. Ranked 4th because Krista seems a little sketchy, David sitting out the last challenge seemed strange, and he hasn't come up with a team name yet. Although, honestly, a team name of question marks is starting to grow on me. :)

5. Team Haterz Gonna Hate - I'm starting to realize how appropriate Bag's team name is. Not only do other people hate Bag's team, but Bag will start to hate it too. I think the contestants will start to hate themselves too over time. I really liked Francesca's attitude when she arrived at RI, and I hope she keeps it up. But what I think will end up happening is that she'll become a miserable wreck who may be broken after too long in solitude, or after having to deal with Phillip again.

6. Team Brief(s) - Bag's team is in really bad shape, but he doesn't have Phillip, which means his team is still better than mine. The only saving grace for this team is that I picked Ashley, and not Andrea... I have trouble keeping the two blondes separate. On the other hand I don't think we've even seen Ashley on the show. She reminds me of Brett from Survivor Samoa. Remember that guy? Of course you don't!

12 comments:

Doug said...

HELLOO Pool Contestant and LADIES,

I'm feeling much better about this season overall compared to last season.

SURPRISE!

Ralph "Man Sweater" comes up huge with the hidden idol find. Booyah.

The new line graph of the standings reminds me of

FIREWORK COLORS!

Bri made a bold prediction of Phillip being a med-evac this season. You heard it here first. Did that just TURN YOUR WORLD UPSIDE DOWN, Michal?

We are NECK DEEP IN THE SWEET WATERS of hopefully a great Survivor season.

TheGraveWolf said...

Yeah, as a semi interested observer I must say this is the best start to a season that I can remember.

DoodleDoug: It sounds like you are neck deep in Redemption Island moonshine. COCKADOODLEDOOOOOO

Doug said...

Redemption Island Moonshine Brewing Company: Co-founded by DoodleDoug and Isaiah Mustafa

The beer your beer wishes it could smell like.

courtney said...

so i just had a quick story that i had to share. 2 nights ago i went to the duke weight room (gym) and i saw this girl who i was like, how the heck do i know her???

i was tempted to go up to her and be like, "hi, i know we know each other from somewhere, blah blah blah", but thankfully i resisted that urge.

2 min later as i'm sitting down, i notice that she only has one leg....and then, IT HITS ME!!! it's kelly-one-leg, from survivor!!! yup, that's right, she's a personal trainer at duke now!

so then, after i figured that out i was A) relieved i didnt go up to her and make a fool of myself and B) torn about the idea of going up to her and telling her she sucked b/c she was the reason my survivor team lost.

the end. :)

GnightMoon said...

LOL how can my team be ranked 4th? It's clearly the best squad. Behind Crushell?? HUGE LOL. That team is 3 old farts. Behind Fabioesque?? BIG LOL. That team has one member on the Island and another on the Island of Russell. Behind Cockydoodlebug? OK, Rooster has an idol...and nothing else, including brains. I do like Grant, but Andrea may be gone by the end of the next episode. Comparing these jokers to my elite, balanced team elicits another robust LOL.

TheGraveWolf said...

You know whose team isn't balanced???

Kelly-one-leg's

TheGraveWolf said...

All named teams should be ranked above all non-named teams until and unless that situation is rectified. That being said, Boston Rob is looking like a gigantic beast at the moment. I predict he will go farrrr.

courtney said...

i concur with gizz's ranking system :)

GnightMoon said...

Well-said, Wolf, on both accounts. I'll accept that explanation. Hopefully it will be rectified tonight - I'm looking for the right quote.

Michal Greenberg said...

Agreed with Wolfy. The only reason your team wasn't ranked lower is because Bag & my teams are so abysmal that they are worse than nameless teams.

courtney said...

"puzzled"?

courtney said...

"pzulezd" (or the likes) might be better....